Thursday, November 20, 2008

Grace Metalious Translation

David shrugged. "You won't like it, Allison. I'm sure you won't"
"Maybe not, David, but I've got to find out for myself. I want every experience that's offered me - or just about."
"I'm only thinking of you," David said. "Wait until they start ripping your book to pieces. You'll feel differently then. You won't be able to stand it. Nobody could."
"I don't have your sensitive, artistic soul," said Allison. "As far as I'm concerned, all I want for Samuel's Castle is another forty weeks on its lists. And after what they paid me for the picture rights, they can do anything they damned well please with it."
"I just don't want you to be hurt," said David quietly, and Allison was suddenly ashamed.
"I know it, David," she said contritely. "But I have to find out for myself."
"Let me hear from you," said David.
"Yes," said Allison. I'll 'phone you. With the studio paying my hotel bills, I'll be able to do it with a clear conscience."
David smiled. "You've changed a lot, Allison. But basically you're still the little girl from Peyton Place, still keeping your conscience clear. I don't think you could change that part of you if you submitted to surgery."
Grace Metalious
David encolheu os ombros. “Tu não vais gostar, Allison. Tenho a certeza que não.”
“Talvez não, David, mas eu tenho que descobrir isso por mim própria. Eu quero todas as experiências que me são oferecidas – ou quase todas.”
“Eu só estou a pensar em ti,” disse David. “Espera até eles começarem a rasgar o teu livro em pedaços. Depois irás sentir-te diferente. Não vais conseguir aguentá-lo. Ninguém consegue.”
“Eu não tenho a tua alma sensível e artística,” disse Allison. “No que me diz respeito, só estou interessada em ter o Samuel’s Castle mais quarenta semanas nas listas deles. E depois daquilo que me pagaram pelos direitos de autor, podem fazer o que raios quiserem com ele.”
"Eu só não quero que te magoes," disse David calmamente, e a Allison subitamente ficou envergonhada.
"Eu sei disso, David," ela disse pesarosamente. "Mas eu tenho que descobrir por mim própria."
“Vai dando notícias tuas,” disse David.
“Sim,” disse Allison. “Eu telefono-te. Com o estúdio a pagar as minhas contas do hotel, eu poderei fazê-lo de consciência tranquila.”
David sorriu. “Mudaste tanto, Allison. Mas basicamente ainda és a menina pequenina de Peyton Place, ainda a manter a consciência tranquila. Não me parece que conseguirias mudar essa parte de ti se te submetesses a cirurgia.”
Jorge Correia Orfão

No comments: